Al-Jazeerah: Cross-Cultural Understanding
News, January 2020
Assassinations and Drone Shooting Continue in Yemen, 4 Million Displaced in as a Result of the Continued War
January 1, 2020
The following news stories are from the Yemeni independent website Al-Masdar ( http://www.almasdaronline.com/category/42 ):
Army shoots down Houthi drone near Safar oil fields in Marib
Almasdar Online - MONDAY, 30 DECEMBER, 2019
The Yemeni army shot down what appears to be a Houthi drone near the Safer oil fields in Marib Governorate, employees at the oil company and eyewitnesses told Almasdar Online.
Activists posted photos of the drone on social media and a video of a military vehicle transporting it from the crash site. Based on that footage, the aircraft appears to be a Houthi-assembled Qasef drone, which is a replica of the Iranian-made Ababil-T drone, according to a UN experts panel.
Saudi-led coalition warplanes were seen circulating in the area around the time the drone crashed, the sources said.
In recent weeks, Saudi coaltion-backed Yemeni soldiers claim to have captured Houthi drones in the governorates of Dhamar, Al-Dhale and Abyan, while Houthi forces claim to have shot down numerous coaltion drones along the Saudi border during the same period.
This is the first time that a drone has reached the Safer oil field in easter Marib. However, the area has been targeted by several missiles in the past, most of which have landed in the desert, with one exception in September 2015, which killed more than 60 soldiers including 45 Emiratis and injured many others.
Security belt commander and bodyguard shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Abyan
Almasdar Online - TUESDAY, 31 DECEMBER, 2019
A leader of the UAE-backed Security Belt forces and his escort were shot dead on Tuesday by unidentified gunmen in Al-Mahfad district in Abyan governorate.
Unidentified gunmen riding a motorcycle killed the commander, Yasser Shamlaq, near a shop in the center of Al-Mahfad at around noon on Tuesday, a source in Abyan’s security sector said.
Al-Mahfad city has witnessed ongoing clashes since October between armed factions loyal to the internationally recognized government and the UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council (STC). The Security Belt is aligned with the STC.
The fatal shootings come less than 24 hours after a Yemeni army soldier was killed and three others were wounded in an attack by gunmen loyal to the STC in the same city.
In recent weeks, masked gunmen on motorcycles have assassinated a growing number of military and security forces in neighboring Aden governorate. The fighting in both Abyan and Aden coincides with the implementation of a Saudi-sponsored power sharing agreement between the STC and government forces.
The signing of the so-called Riyadh agreement in early November halted a slide toward a broader civil war between the anti-Houthi allies, but implementation of the deal has fallen behind schedule amid obstruction from both sides.
Houthis release Saudi plane carrying seven captured soldiers after ransom paid
Almasdar Online - THURSDAY, 26 DECEMBER, 2019
On Thursday, the Houthis released a plane carrying seven Saudi soldiers captured on the Yemeni-Saudi border nearly three months ago.
The Saudi prisoners, who departed from Sana’a International Airport, were released for a ransom of more than 25 million Saudi riyals (about $6.7 million), a high-ranking officer in Yemen’s Ministry of Defense told Almasdar Online.
The Houthis’ desire to complete the deal "could be seen as an indication of the group's willingness to further rapprochement with the Kingdom," said the officer, who works closely with Saudi military operations.
Previously, the Houthis showed footage of Saudi soldiers saying they had been captured along with hundreds of pro-Yemeni government fighters from battles on the Kingdom's southern border with Yemen in August.
Yemeni Air Defenses Shoot Down 3rd Spy Drone within 24 Hours
December 31, 2019, YemenExtra, M.A.
Air Defenses of the Army and Popular Committees shot down, Tuesday, a
hostile spy drone, Phantom, run by the US-Saudi aggression, the third in
less than 24 hours.
Brigadier Yahya Sare’e Revaels Statistics of Coalition Crimes Against Civilians in Yemen in 2019December 31, 2019, YemenExtra, M.A
Armed Forces spokesman, Brigadier Yahya Sare’e, confirmed on Sunday that for the fifth consecutive year, the aggression coalition continues to target various regions and governorates, committing many massacres, destroying roads, service centers, citizens ’homes and properties.
“The total number of raids during the last year reached more than 6534 raids on nineteen governorates that were subjected to airstrikes during the year 2019,” he said.
This came during a press conference, in which it was revealed that more than 50% of the total number of raids targeted Sa’adah governorate, with no less than 3615 raids. Hajjah Governorate was subjected to more than 1427 raids, 424 raids were for Sana’a Governorate and more than 211 raids were on Al-Jawf Governorate.
the rest of the raids were distributed among Al Dhale’e, Marib, Amran, Al Hodeidah, Dhamar, Taiz, Al Baydha, Ibb, Lahj, Rima, Aden, Abyan, Shabwah, and Al Mahwit.
“In addition to the airstrikes, the aggression coalition pushed its forces and mercenaries to target various regions and try to progress on the ground,” he added.
4 Million Displaced in Yemen as a Result of the Continued US-Saudi Aggression and SiegeDecember 31, 2019, YemenExtra, M.A
The number of people displaced by US-Saudi aggression against Yemen increased by the end of last November 2019, to reach more than three million and eight hundred thousand people.
This came in a report issued by the Information Center of the Supreme Council for the Administration and Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. The report states that hundreds of thousands of displaced Yemenis throughout Yemen are living in a catastrophic humanitarian situation due to the aggression, which caused the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, amid the large failure of the international organizations in their work in relief and sheltering the displaced.
The statistics of the displaced families until the end of November 2019 reached 554,784, and the number of displaced people reached 3,883,488 for 15 governorates in the Republic of Yemen.
80,000 Yemeni Children Suffer from Persistent Trauma, Psychological Disorders
December 22, 2019, YemenExtra, M.A
Yemen’s Ministry of Human Rights has warned that the ongoing
Saudi-led military onslaught against the impoverished and
conflict-ridden Arab country has taken a heavy toll on Yemeni children’s
mental wellbeing, saying tens of thousands of minors suffer from
persistent trauma and psychological disorders there.
***Share the link of this article with your facebook friends
Fair Use Notice
This site contains copyrighted material the
use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for
in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
Section 107, the material on this site is
distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information
for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
Opinions expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors and they may not represent Al-Jazeerah & ccun.org.
firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com